Current Projects - Male Involvement in EMTCT
This project funded by Positive Action for Children’s Fund (PACF) aims at increasing the role of men and boys in eMTCT among island fishing communities of Wakiso (Bussi, Kasenyi & Zinga islands) and Serere districts (Mpingire, Labori and Kateta). It intends to reduce transmission of HIV from a mother to her child and produce HIV negative babies. It is a 2-year project implemented by Community Health Alliance Uganda (CHAU), Health Need Uganda (HNU) and Mama’s Club Uganda (MCU)
Objective 1; Increase male involvement in EMTCT uptake among island fishing communities from 12% to 30% by 2020.
Objective 2; increasing utilisation of EMTCT services in 800 households in island fishing communities by 2020.
Objective 3; Strengthen EMTCT referral and linkages among island fishing communities.
Project beneficiaries; Direct beneficiaries: 35,000 and indirect beneficiaries: 125,000
Engage men/boys as central pillars;
- To lead support for pregnant HIV positive mothers and children for increased uptake, retention in EMTCT and related SRH Services.
- As couples, participate in VSLAS to promote household income, empower HIV positive mothers and children to access EMTCT services, nutritional support for children, reducing pediatric HIV infection and increasing uptake of EMTCT services.
- support male champions and peers to conduct community dialogues.
- Support health workers to carry out outreaches providing EMTCT services.
- To enhance access and uptake of EMTCT by active identification of lost to follow-ups.
- Reduce HIV infections through reduction of risky sexual behaviors and improved SBCC.